I don’t collect graded comics. I have them, but they’re not really a part of what I would consider my “collection.”
I’m not knocking graded comics or those that collect them. Buy whatever makes you happy and if that’s a 9.8 of your favorite comic then that’s awesome. You do you and don’t listen to anybody who says you should collect the way they do. I just personally like raw books.
If I buy a graded comic it’s because I plan on selling it eventually. This isn’t some grand plan to become rich. Or start my own comic store. Far from it. My personal philosophy with comic selling is that if I can make this hobby free or cheap I’m happy. In other words, my goal is to break even or get close. This isn’t a cheap hobby so I’ll trim my collections or resell steals I find on eBay, Facebook groups, TFAW snipes, etc.
With that being said I’ve never actually submitted a comic to CGC, CBCS, etc myself. All of the slabs that I own were purchased as slabs already.
But I’ve always wanted to send off a submission to CGC or CBCS. Mainly as an experiment to see how good my grading eye is. To see if I could consistently spot 9.8s vs. 9.6s. Stuff like that.
So that’s exactly what I did. The other day I shipped off 25 comics to CGC’s HQ in Sarasota Florida to get graded.
I chose to do the 9.8 pre-screen option. Meaning if the books I sent do not get a 9.8 I just get charged $8 for their time and they send it back raw. If they do hit 9.8 they get slabbed up and sent back to me that way.
I mainly collect modern Star Wars books so I figured it was best to send in only modern comics with no room for error. 9.8 or bust.
Also for anyone wondering, assuming they all get 9.8, it cost $600 or so for the submission. That includes the grading, shipping, etc.
Here’s what I sent in.
I know the video quality is rough. I took it at like 10pm and the lighting wasn’t great. Was planning on taking pictures of each one for this post but ended up forgetting to do it.
Regardless, here’s the full list of what I sent in:
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian #1 – Adi Granov Virgin B&W Variant x2
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian #1 – Adi Granov Virgin Color Variant x2
- Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron #26
- Star Wars: Han Solo & Chewbacca #5 1:25 Lopez Variant
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian #3 – Mike Mayhew Variant
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian #2 – Ema Lupacchino Variant x2
- Star Wars: The High Republic #7 2nd Print x2
- Star Wars: Crimson Reign #1 2nd Print 1:50 Cummings Variant
- Star Wars: The High Republic #1 1:25 Sway Variant
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian #2 1:50 Cheung Variant x2
- Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters – Jabba The Hutt #1 1:25 x2
- Star Wars: Life Day #1 1:10 Sprouse Variant
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #32 Stott Variant
- Star Wars: Thrawn #6 x2
- Star Wars: The High Republic – The Blade #2 1:25 Suayan Variant
- Star Wars: Becket #1
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures #1 Peachtree Playthings Variant
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures #2 Peachtree Playthings Variant
My goal is to hit 21 of 25 comics being 9.8s. It’s probably a lofty goal but it’s ok, this experiment is just for fun.
I’ll post my results when I get them in a month or two. Feel free to shame me for my misses.
Hope all is well!
Grand Admiral Frik.