Next Wednesday the first issue of Star Wars: The Mandalorian comic series comes out and today Starwars.com posted the official preview. You can find the preview below but first I want to touch on why this issue is such a big deal for collectors.
Even though the Mandalorian comic series is an adaptation of the first season of the hit Disney+ show, meaning they’re not new stories, there’s a significant amount of hype around this series. Since this show introduced some of the most important new characters since the Clone Wars animated show I personally believe the hype is warranted.
Not only do we have a TON of first appearances in this comics series but we know that many of the characters introduced will be involved in upcoming shows, movies, and books for years to come through what many have dubbed The Mandoverse or Filoni-verse. Grogu and Din Djarin alone are likely to be the most influential Star Wars characters created since Ahsoka.
Now there will be a large print run with this. There were reportedly over 400k issues pre-ordered for the first issue before this year’s Star Wars Celebration. That being said, unlike Star Wars #1 from 2015 (over 1M sold) and the War of the Bounty Hunters (300k sold) this issue is a massive key that will be sought after for decades in my opinion.
So while it may take a few years for demand to catch up with supply, I do believe this is a really strong long-term hold.
In just the first issue we have some heavy hitters being introduced to the comic universe. Let’s take a look.
Star Wars: The Mandalorian #1 Comic First Appearances
- First full appearance of The Mandalorian aka Din Djarin in a traditional comic
- First appearance of Grogu aka Baby Yoda in a traditional comic (some may view this a cameo if it’s a single panel or two)
- First full appearance of Kuiil in a traditional comic
- First full appearance of IG-11 in a traditional comic
- First full appearance of The Armorer in a traditional comic
- First full appearance of Greef Karga in a traditional comic
- First full appearance of “The Mythrol” in a traditional comic
- First full appearance of “Doctor Pershing” in a traditional comic
- And a bunch of minor characters who get wrecked by Mando.
I got a first look at the printed books today. Here are the all of the first appearances in all of their final form glory…
You can find all of the different variants (there are a TON) and the official preview below. Be sure to get your pre-orders in below July 13th, 2022.
Star Wars The Mandalorian #1
(W) Rodney Barnes (A) Georges Jeanty (CA) Adi Granov
FOR THE FIRST TIME, THE MANDALORIAN ARRIVES IN COMICS!
• The Mandalorian bounty hunter tracks a target for a well-paying, mysterious client.
• Witness the introduction of Din Djarin and the first meeting between the Mandalorian and the Child!
In Shops: Jul 13, 2022
- Cover A Granov
- JTC action Figure Variant
- Shalvey Variant
- Jimenez Pride Variant
- TV Variant
- Concept Art 1:10 Variant ($6.99)
- Aja 1:25 Variant ($24.49)
- Aja 1:25 Variant (Ebay)
- Yu 1:50 Variant ($44.95)
- Yu 1:50 Variant (Ebay)
- Mike Mayhew Exclusive
- Hans Exclusive Variant
- Panosian Exclusive Variant (Pharcyde Comics)
- Lashley Exclusive Variant (Stadium Comics)
- Kirkham Exclusive Variant (Frankies Comics)
- Kirkham Exclusive Variant (Unknown Comics)
- Lee Exclusive Variant
- Baldeon Exclusive Variant (Rated Comics)
- Maleev Exclusive Variant (Golden Apple Comics)
- Ross Exclusive Variant (Neighborhood Comics)
- Zircher Exclusive Variant (Altered Reality Comics)
- Pichelli Exclusive Variant (Spectral Comics)
- McCrea Exclusive Variant (Ludicrous Speed Collectibles)
- Cummings Exclusive Variant (Modern Era Comics)
- The Mandalorian #1 Yagawa/Cheng Exclusive Variant (Buy On RebelBase Ebay Store)
- Duursema Exclusive Variant (ComicXposure)
- Nakayama Exclusive Variant (BigTImeCollectibles)
- Yu Exclusive Variant (FanExpo)
- Georges Jeanty Galaxycon Exclusive
Star Wars The Mandalorian #1 Official Preview
(W) Rodney Barnes (A) Georges Jeanty (CA) Kaare AndrewsBATTLE WITH THE BEASTLY MUDHORN!
• Having tracked down a valuable quarry, the Mandalorian must now contend with thieving bandits.
• Will the Mandalorian battle it out with the Jawas or is an alliance in the cards?
In Shops: Aug 17, 2022
Star Wars Mandalorian #3 Comics
(W) Rodney Barnes (A) Georges Jeanty (CA) David Baldeon, Gary Frank
The battered Mandalorian returns to his client to collect his reward and tend to his wounds; complications arise and what should have been a simple task becomes far more dangerous than anyone could have expected.
In Shops: Sep 21, 2022
I will be updating this page daily as long as there are updates to be made. Don’t miss a single cover or make sure you get the right cover for you by checking back often.
Hey hey and may the force be with you!
-Grand Admiral Frik