Marvel is celebrating Pride Month this June 2021 with special variant covers across their Star Wars line as drawn by artists from the LGBTQ+ and transgender community! Via Starwars.com we get out first look at Sana Starros on Doctor Aphra #11 by Jan Bazaldua! Sanna Starros first appeared masked in Star Wars #4 (2015), then was revealed maskless in Star Wars #6.
Keep your eyes peeled on TFAW for these variants to go live for pre-order!
The rest of the variant covers are as follows:
- Rae Sloane by J.J. Kirby on Darth Vader #13 (Rae Sloane first appeared in Kanan #12)
- Doctor Aphra by Babs Tarr on War of the Bounty Hunters #1 (Aphra first appeared in Darth Vader #3 (2015))
- Yrica Quell by Jacopa Camagni on Bounty Hunters #13 (Yrica Quell first appeared in Tie Fighter #1)
- Terec and Ceret by Javier Garron on High Republic #6 (Terec and Ceret first appeared in High Republic #2 and on the cover of High Republic #1 Anindito variant)
- Lando by Stephen Byrne on Star Wars #14 (Lando first appeared ESB Marvel Comics Illustrated Version in May 1980, then first appeared in a comic format in Marvel Super Special #16)
- Sana Starros on Doctor Aphra #11 by Jan Bazaldua! (Sanna Starros first appeared masked in Star Wars #4 (2015), then was revealed maskless in Star Wars #6.)
All of these characters’ first appearances have been added to our Star Wars comic first appearance and key issue database, WookyWiki.com!
Check out the press release from Starwars.com below!
This Pride Month, gay and transgender artists will pay homage to some of the LGBTQ+ characters inhabiting a galaxy far, far away in a special line of variant comic book covers.
Among those featured in the June issues of Marvel’s Star Wars comics, Rae Sloane will grace the cover of Darth Vader #13 as drawn by J.J. Kirby, Doctor Aphra will get into mischief on War of the Bounty Hunters #1 with art from Babs Tarr, Yrica Quell will be captured by artist Jacopo Camagni on the cover of Bounty Hunters #13, Jedi twins Terec and Ceret from Star Wars: The High Republic will be portrayed by artist Javier Garron on a variant for issue #6, and the smooth-talking scoundrel Lando Calrissian will be decked out in style on the cover of Star Wars #14, illustrated by Stephen Byrne.
But first, StarWars.com is thrilled to exclusively reveal the inks from a Sana Starros portrait that will be available on the cover of Marvel’s Doctor Aphra #11 [above], with art by Jan Bazaldua.
“This talented team of artists is bringing so much passion and enthusiasm to these covers,” says Marvel editor Tom Groneman. “For me, sharing that passion with fans and readers is a wonderful celebration of the most unique, compelling, and iconic characters in the Star Wars galaxy.”Starwars.com